Life Hack: Tips for Moving into Your Dorm
Living in the dorms your first year is a whole new experience. Finding a way to fit your entire world into that tiny box of a room is an interesting first experience for the next chapter of your life. With these helpful tips, the struggle of moving will be much more relaxing.
- Make a list of everything you think you could possibly need. Make the list longer than what you actually will use and then narrow it down. I suggest a list on your phone so you can add things you use on a daily basis as you use them.
- If you are the type of person who needs a lot of things in your, room buy storage containers to reduce clutter.
- Pack your items securely. Tape shut drawers and anything else that could possibly open during transit.
- Label your storage containers or boxes with sticky notes saying what is in them and where you envision it going.
- Watch youtube videos on the dorm you will be living in to get an idea ahead of time on how you want to organize.
- Bring multiple water bottles and wear sneakers. The quickest way to get everything moved is by using the stairs for smaller loads. Move in day guarantees everyone else will be using the elevator causing a long line out the door. It can also be helpful to enlist friends and family to help speed up the process.
- Find the closest Target or Walmart near your school before you leave because it is guaranteed that you will forget something.
- Make sure to pack a lanyard. You will need it from the moment you pick up your key until the moment you drop it off at the end of the year.
- Comforter, blankets, sheet sets, mattress topper
- Bed pillows
- Night stand
- Swim gear
- Pictures and decorations
- Bath towels (2-3 sets) and washcloths or loofahs
- Bath rug
- Plunger and toilet brush
- Cleaning supplies (toilet cleaner, bathroom cleaner)
- Wastebasket and garbage bags
- Shower caddy
- Shower curtain, liner and rings
- Shampoo and soap
- Nail clippers
- Cookware (2 covered sauce pans & frying pan)
- Silverware & kitchen knives
- Mini fridge
- Pasta Strainer
- Cutting board
- Utensils: wooden spoon, soup spoon, whisk, grater, ice cream scoop, tongs
- Ice cube tray
- Garbage Can and bags
- 16 piece Dinner Set (plates, bowls, mugs, glassware)
- Coffeemaker microwave
- Floor and table lamps
- Throw blanket
- Surge protector
- HDMI cables
- Bulletin board & pins or whiteboard & markers
- Basket and hamper
- Detergent & fabric softener sheets
- Vacuum, mop, & broom and dustpan
- First Aid kit
- Batteries and Flashlight
- Tool kit (hammer, nails, screwdrivers, pliers)
- Mini sewing kit
- Vitamins and Medicines
- Important documents you might need, Passport, insurance cards and information ect
- Stationery and Stamps
- School supplies like notecard, scissors, stapler, pens and pencils, paper, highlighters